Open until filled
Juneau Montessori School (JMS) is seeking an organized, compassionate, and enthusiastic leader to join our staff as our school’s Executive Director. JMS is a year-round program providing Montessori education and caring for up to 60 children aged 18 months to 5 years. We are a small non-profit housed in a beautiful historic building in scenic Douglas, Alaska. The school has healthy finances, an annual budget around $700,000, roughly 13 full-time and additional part-time staff members, and an active board of directors supporting the ED.
JMS is a certified Montessori school (AMI) with lead guides that have obtained or are pursuing Montessori credentials. Lead guides, the ED, parents, staff, and community members work together to share insights and accomplish our mission of helping children reach their full potential through Montessori education.
If this leadership opportunity is appealing to you, we want to hear from you. To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to Dan Lesh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- General oversight of the operations of the JMS, including students, staff, programs, and facility.
- Hiring and coordination of roughly 13 full time employees and additional part time staff.
- Supporting JMS staff, including assisting in classrooms, to maintain child/teacher ratios and meet the dynamic needs of children and staff.
- Conflict resolution.
- Volunteer and parent coordination.
- Coordination of enrollment, scholarship programs, and tuition collection.
- Collaboration with the board of directors and board committees on a variety of projects, including the annual budget process.
- Facilitation of the wonderful atmosphere within the school to promote optimal child development, consistent with the Montessori philosophy.
- Administrative duties.
- Assurance of compliance with all applicable accreditation, training, and licensing requirements.
- Public relations and advertising, including social media, flyers, community events, and newsletters to promote cohesive community, meet enrollment goals, and increase understanding of JMS and Montessori philosophy in the community.
- Oversight of overall fundraising, including applying for grants and meeting grant requirements.
- Attendance and facilitation of the board of directors meeting, including assistance with material preparation and a monthly ED report
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field; Master’s Degree in a related field preferred but not required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including computer skill competency
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups, such as board of directors, parents, teachers, students, parents, and other community stakeholders
- Belief that the education of young children is critical to a healthy society
- Montessori education and administration experience preferred but not required
- Basic understanding and appreciation for Montessori education philosophy a must
- Ability to comply with qualifications set forth by the State of Alaska for Child Care Program Administrator upon hire or shortly after
- Information technology experience preferred
- Basic understanding of non-profit management preferred
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Compassion and creativity
- Compassion and respect for children and adults
- Basic knowledge of standard administrative procedures and excellent organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects, and work cooperatively with multiple teams and individuals
- Ability to pass a criminal background check in accordance with the current state regulation requirements
Salary Range and Benefits:
- Generous paid leave and holiday schedule
- Educational and training opportunities
- Around $54,000-$60,000 (DOE)
If you are interested in the positions below, please submit your resume by email to email@example.com
SUBSTITUTE ASSISTANT TEACHER
Part-time position, on-call, $12 per hour (DOE)
Seeking enthusiastic and positive individuals as substitute assistant teachers.
Are you over 18, looking for meaningful work and interested in increasing your knowledge of child development? Looking for candidates who are compassionate, willing to learn about Montessori philosophy and open to working a flexible schedule.
LEAD OUTDOOR/ AFTERCARE EDUCATOR
30 hours per week, $14-18 per hour (DOE)
Juneau Montessori School is seeking a Lead Outdoor Environment/ Afterschool Educator to facilitate outdoor programming as well as to serve as acting administrator for our school during our after school hours, between 4:00 PM and 5:30 PM.
The candidate must be able to qualify as a Child Care Associate with the State of Alaska by being at least 21 years of age and having at least 12 semester hours of college credit in early childhood development, child development, child psychology, or the equivalent, a current Child Development Associate (CDA) credential, or a Montessori Certificate.
The ideal candidate will have an understanding of Montessori philosophy and the value of unstructured play as well as experience in facilitating child-directed outdoor and indoor learning experiences.
JMS has been working on the improvement of our outdoor learning environment and needs a dedicated individual to maintain and develop this space. This space includes natural play elements, a traditional play structure, a high tunnel, raised beds and perennial plantings. The students and staff at JMS use the space daily for learning and play. As part of this position, the educator will be facilitating free play and child-driven projects during the daily outdoor time and in the JMS after-school program.
This is a 30 hour per week position with hours between 11:30 AM and 5:30 PM.